Friday, January 2, 2009

Romancing the Blogs


Happy New Year!

In 52 days, my 6th title, VEXING THE VISCOUNT will hit the shelves. When my first novel MAIDENSONG was published in 2006, I had no idea how to get the word out. I assumed that all I had to do was write a good book and the rest would take care of itself.

Wrong.

Without promotion, a novel drops into the deep sea of oblivion without so much as a splash.

But what is an author to do? I've done signings. I go to conferences. I've bought advertising in Romantic Times and RWR. My website hosts a contest almost every month. I put together book trailers. I mailed out ARCs to tons of review sites. You can find me on MySpace, Facebook, GoodReads, Shelfari, etc.

And with all these things, I have no way to gauge what actually works. So when the brilliant Joy Nash did a 50 day blog tour to celebrate the release of Deep Magic, I thought to myself that this was something I'd enjoy doing whether I could quantify the results or not. I'd get a chance to meet lots of readers and other authors.

So a couple months ago, I began contacting blog owners about guesting with them. The tricky thing was scheduling and I had to do a bit of shuffling to accomodate everyone's plans. But I finally put together my tour. You can see my itinerary at http://www.emilybryan.com/Events.htm. I'm booked for some of the hottest romance blogs around, so be prepared to bookmark some new sites.

My tour starts in New Zealand--a place I'd love to visit. I'm blogging today at Kiwi writer Jane Beckenham's Romance Author Blog and giving away a FREE copy of Vexing the Viscount to one lucky commenter!

Pop by with a comment or question and you may start the New Year with a win!

Good luck!
Emily

PS. Check my blog every day. I'll post an update of where in the world I am so you can join me in cyberspace! There are 50 days-50 chances to win a Vexing the Viscount!

Detra Fitch, The Huntress Reviews on VEXING THE VISCOUNT . . .
"One of the most wickedly fun reads I've had in quite some time. Terrific!"


PPS. If you're an author, what promotion have you done that you feel was particularly effective? If you're a reader, what made you want to pick up a new author's book? Thanks for the feedback.

9 comments:

EmilyBryan January 3, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

I'm blogging at MyBonnieRoseBlog today (January 3rd) about making my Vexing the Viscount book trailer! And yes, I'll be giving away another free copy of Vexing the Viscount to one lucky commenter.

Good luck!
Emily

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner January 3, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Good luck with your tour! I know Joy had fun with that.

I think I write so many books because promo makes me break out in hives. "Should I go on a promo tour or write another book?"

Shy Jennifer dives for the laptop and stays there ...

EmilyBryan January 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Probably the wisest choice, Jenn. Maybe I should make it my New Year's resolution to imitate you.

EmilyBryan January 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmilyBryan January 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

Yesterday, I hinted at the naughty little card game Daisy and Lucian play in VEXING THE VISCOUNT. Today, I've posted an excerpt of part of the game at http://www.selenaillyriasthoughts.blogspot.com/.

Pop over for a peek and be sure to leave a comment for a chance to win a Viscount of your own!

EmilyBryan January 5, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

It's Jan 5th. Do you know where I am? VickyBurkholder's Blog Come on over and comment for a chance to win a FREE VExing the Viscount!

EmilyBryan January 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

Join me today at
Pillow Talk Tuesday. I talk trash about the Muse and dish the dirt from my heroine Daisy Drake's diary.

Be sure to drop by and leave a comment or question so you can be entered in the daily drawing for a FREE copy of Vexing the Viscount

Good luck!

EmilyBryan January 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM  

Today, Jan. 7th, I'm blogging at Ellen Ashe's Blog. Be sure to check the comment section because we're doing something a little different today. I'm inviting readers to peek into the mind of the French courtesan, Blanche La Tour and then tell me what they think.

I still have 46 copies of VEXING THE VISCOUNT to give away, so be sure to post a comment or question to be entered in the daily drawing!

Enjoy!

EmilyBryan January 8, 2009 at 6:28 AM  

I'm guestblogging at http://www.adeledubois.com/blog/ today, talking about my first visit to Dorchester's impressive offices in the heart of Manhattan. The business end of books is fascinating and the good folk at Dorchester are like a well-oiled machine, cranking so many new titles out each month. I only have to worry about a couple of releases a year. My editor, Leah Hultenschmidt, is responsible for dozens. Come along with me on a tour of Dorchester Publishing!

And please leave your comments and questions. My DH will be picking the daily winner of a shiny new VEXING THE VISCOUNT from among the commenters at http://www.adeledubois.com/blog/.

Good luck!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP